Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Starships" Nicki Minaj's new single is out of this world!

On February 14th, just two days after her stunning and controversial performance of "Roman's Holiday" at the 54th Annual Grammy Awards, Queen Barbie, Nicki Minaj gave all her fans some more love and premiered  the second single off of her upcoming album: "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded" during Tuesday's "On Air with Ryan Seacrest".

I, for one was and am absolutely gaga over it. Its infectious from the first few notes, and it demands that you get up and dance even before the lyrics start.

A smooth blend of euro-dance beats and a techno rhythm accompany Nicki's impeccable rhymes and flow.
Though it seems to be a bit of a departure from her previous releases, and there is more singing than rapping, "Starships" is still pure Nicki.

 


Though its not rare for me to fall in love with a song it is a bit more rare for me to immediately HAVE to have a single upon first hearing, I usually wait and just get the entire album after its been released.
Not this song. I had to have it, thankfully it was released the same day for purchase on  iTunes, and I have been listening to it every day.

Not going to lie, I may have even been doing a little dancing in my chair as I've been writing.

Personally I think this track showcases Nicki's ability to switch flawlessly between singing and rapping, and though this song does have a decidedly dance-pop sound and the lyrics are not as in your face as some of her previous releases, there is still a huge amount of talent evidenced in this song. 

"Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded" is set for release on April 3rd, and if "Starships" is any indication of what's in store on that album then I may even order my copy in advance.

If you've been under a rock, go ahead and click that video and see what I mean, and then go ahead and try NOT buy the single.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!